There is always room for a new kale salad recipe! This one includes the tasty and healthy addition of thinly-sliced turnips and radishes, and a simple, stand-by recipe for honey-mustard dressing that will go great with many dishes. There is fresh fall kale, radishes, and turnips at the market this week!
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and very thinly sliced
- 3-4 salad turnips OR 1-2 large purple-top turnips, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch radishes, greens removed and thinly sliced OR 1-2 large watermelon or daikon radishes, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup pitted and roughly chopped dates (or dried cranberries or cherries)
- 2-3 scallions, sliced
- 2 ounces favorite blue cheese or crumbly goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (or favorite sea salt)
- 6 twists freshly ground black pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon regular black pepper)
Toast the nuts on a baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven. This should take 8-12 minutes, but check them often. They should smell very fragrant but not at all blackened when they are done.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy. Toss with kale in a large bowl and set in the fridge to rest while you matchstick, shred and slice your other vegetables. This will soften the kale ever so slightly and make it better salad green.
When ready to serve, top kale with turnips, radishes, dates, scallions, cheese, and cooled toasted nuts. Try not to devour immediately.
Serves 2-4 (depending if it’s a side dish or a meal)
Prep time 20 minutes