A summer favorite, vegetarian style! Bell peppers stuffed with an eggplant-based stuffing and a savory topping to make the most of two mainstays of fresh summer goodness all in a one-pan meal! You will find sweet bell peppers and a variety of eggplant at the market this week!
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 medium bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cored and seeded
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound eggplants, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- One 26 ounce jar tomato-basil sauce
- 20 pitted medium black olives, chopped
- 20 pitted medium green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil for garnish
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Spray a small baking dish or baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Arrange the peppers, cut-side-up, on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake until the peppers are tender but still holding their shape, about 20 minutes.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a 12 inch non-stick skillet. Add the eggplant in batches and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
Combine the cooked eggplant, tomato-basil sauce, olives, capers, salt, and pepper in a 12 inch non-stick skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Preheat the broiler. Spoon the filling into the bell peppers and sprinkle the topping over the filling. Drizzle with the olive oil and broil until a golden crust forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lightly chopped fresh basil and serve.