A basic baby green salad that is bright and satisfying with a Dijon-balsamic vinaigrette! Keep things fresh with four different takes on a healthy dish that can be the go-to for easy lunches or light dinner. You will find salad mix from Red Roots Farm at the market this week!
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
In small bowl, beat all vinaigrette ingredients with wire whisk until smooth.
Salad – use 1 bag (10 ounces) mixed baby greens of choice with any of the following variations:
Avocado & Cranberry
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Strawberry & Almond
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 package (4 ounces) goat cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted.
Apple & Gorgonzola
- 1 medium green apple, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
Mushroom & Onion
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup finely sliced purple onion
To toast nuts, heat oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in ungreased shallow pan. Bake about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant. Watch carefully because nuts brown quickly.
Or cook nuts in ungreased heavy skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant.
In large bowl, toss vinaigrette and all salad ingredients just before serving.