Tender steak and summer veggies in a delicious garlic butter sauce! This is a quick and easy one-pan meal that can be enjoyed as is or served with rice or potatoes. You will find grass-fed beef in a variety of cuts, zucchini, bell peppers, and garlic at the market this week!
- 1 ½ pounds steak of choice (sirloin, ribeye, or tenderloin work best), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 heaping TBS Fresh Thyme Leaves – chopped
- 1 tsp EACH: Smoked Paprika & Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper – or more to taste
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper – to taste
- 2 ½ TBS Good-Quality Olive Oil – DIVIDED, plus more as needed
- 4 TBS Butter – cut into pats
- 3-4 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 medium Zucchini – medium dice or cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper – medium dice
- 1 Lemon – juice
- Optional for Garnish: Fresh Basil and Lemon Wedges
Mix seasoning: In a small bowl, combine thyme, paprika, onion and cayenne. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Mix well to combine. Reserve 1 teaspoon of seasoning. Set both aside.
Season steak: pat the steak bites dry and add to a medium bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mix (all but the reserved teaspoon), evenly over the steak and toss well to combine. Set aside.
Cook peppers + zucchini: Heat 1 ½ tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the peppers and zucchini. Season with reserved teaspoon of seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies are just tender-crisp, about 6-10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and transfer to a plate. (Note: If you prefer softer vegetables, continue to cook, stirring for a few extra minutes!)
Cook steak: Return the skillet to between medium-high and high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the steak bites to the pan in a single layer (cook in two batches and add more oil if necessary). Cook, undisturbed, for 3-4 minutes, or until the steak is brown on the bottom. Cook stir-frying for 1 minute. Remove steak from pan and transfer to the plate with the zucchini. (Note: If you prefer your steak well done, keep the steak cubes in the pan and go to next step.)
Add butter + garlic: Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter and the garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 minute, or until melted.
Add steak + veggies: Add the steak bites and vegetables to the pan. Cook, tossing or stirring frequently to coat the steak and vegetables in butter sauce, about 1-2 minutes.
Add lemon + herbs: Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Stir in fresh basil if using.