This is such a satisfying salad for cooler weather! Delicious with fresh spinach, crumbled bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and any combination of your favorite salad additions that just add to the savory flavor profile. You will find fresh baby spinach, and pasture-raised, organic-fed eggs and bacon at the market this week!
- 4-6 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 small red onion- thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
- crumbled blue cheese (or crumbled cheese of choice)
- 2-3 hardboiled eggs- sliced thin or roughly chopped
- Optional additions: sliced apples or grapes, chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds, croutons
Warm honey-bacon dressing
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 1.5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
Toss everything except eggs and cheese in a salad bowl. Make dressing, add bacon (listed in dressing recipe), mix well to coat all of the spinach, add eggs and cheese and toss lightly to combine.
Warm Honey-Bacon Dressing
Cook bacon in skillet until crispy. Drain, chop, and set aside. Pour off all about 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease.
Whisk together remaining ingredients.
Warm 1 Tablespoon of grease over medium heat, add dressing, and whisk until combined and heated through.
Pour warm dressing over spinach salad, add chopped bacon, and toss. mix well to coat all of the spinach, add eggs and cheese and toss lightly to combine. Serve immediately.