This is a great no-mess meal-in-one since it grills to perfection in a heavy-duty foil bag. If you prefer to oven-roast, prepare it in a large roaster or Dutch oven and roast at 425 degrees until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender. You will find bratwurst, red potatoes, carrots, and green garlic at the market this week!
- 3 pounds uncooked bratwurst links
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 carrots cut into roughly equal pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 16 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, diced (may substitute green garlic or garlic scapes)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For each of 2 foil packets, arrange a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 17×15 in.) on a flat surface.
Cut brats into thirds. Divide the brats, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms evenly between the 2 double-layer foil rectangles. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with soup mix, soy sauce and pepper.
Bring edges of foil together; crimp to seal, forming 2 large packets. Seal tightly; turn to coat.
Grill, covered, over medium heat for 23-28 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.